Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Orvieto: A Resting Place...

At least for a night  After taking in big city after big city, it was time for something different. We had read about a place called Chivita that could only be accessed by foot. A bus can get you within 20 minutes, but then you walk. There you find a medieval hill town that has not been modernized and is similar to how it was in the 1200s.
     We never made it all the way to the town, because we only had booked our place for one night. The train schedule and the fact that you can only catch the bus near Chivita four times a day did not mesh well for our plans.  I guess we will have to go back someday.  Oh well.
     We took the bus up to another small hill town.  It was gorgeous up there overlooking vinyards and other fields.  It was just a little taste of back home in Elmira.  Actually it was better, because there were not any trailers and scary dogs on the loose.
     We ate outside at a little restaraunt.  It was delicious.  Kayla ordered ravioli with spinach and a type of cheese.  I ordered a meal that seemed strange, refreshing, and delicious all at once.  There were no pictures on the menu, but I have been trying to be a little more adventurous when it comes to trying new foods.  That is what you do on vacation, and I knew I liked both of the ingredients; melon and bacon!  It was spectacular.
     Both of our plates came with three of the items we ordered.  Kayla got three massive ravioles, and I got just what I wanted, three big pieces of cantelope with thin sliced meat on top of it.  What a fantastic combo!  I knew meat goes well with bacon, because my sister-in-law once made pears wrapped in bacon, but this combo was so refreshing and nice that we have since ordered it a few other times.  The cantelope, and on a side note, nectarines, are so juicy and sweet here.  They are messy as well, squirting all over the place when you bite them. 
     Afterwards, we got a gelato, because that is one of our staple foods. We got mint which has done well for us in the past, but this time, yikes!  It was like sucking on freezing cold halls menthols.  It was gross,  but in the spirit of not wanting to waste a purchase, I (Aaron) preceded to eat the whole thing.  It was sort of miserable, but it cleared up my nasal passages, and I finished just in time to take the bus back to the hotel. 
     In the morning we were able to go on a walk in the countryside and ended it just in time to catch our train to the next big city, Florence!







2 comments:

  1. You'll remember this stuff for the rest of your lives! Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were already in Florence? Hey, how were the Alps? I wish you could have experienced that little town--I was so ready to get excited about it. But I love hearing about all your adventures, including food.

    ReplyDelete